Sunday, June 14, 2009

Camping near Newton, Iowa

We had a good ride today with plenty of site-seeing. We headed east and then north from Red Oak, Iowa, stopping first at the Corning Winery in Corning. We enjoy stopping at small wineries and almost always find something we like. I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Sis's Blush, a somewhat sweet red table wine. I don't know wine terminology but if I were to fake it I would say that it is light and airy with a slightly sweet fruity taste and a touch of body. We had three preplanned stops in Iowa and knocked out two of those today. The third (A Field of Dreams) may get skipped unless we see a sign at the right time. Winterset is the seat of Madison County and also the birthplace of John Wayne. We went to see one covered bridge of Madison County, the Roseman Bridge. To be honest, I was not super impressed. It was just a bridge that happen to be wood and covered. After looking at the souvenir shop we knew it was not necessary to see the other bridges as they all look alike. I am thoroughly enjoying all the small towns and the rural scenery. I also enjoyed our quick ride through downtown Des Moines. Actually, there is not much that I don't like looking at.....I'm one of those who finds beauty in almost anything. Today's pictures:

Gotta love this science lab at the Corning Winery near Corning, Iowa!

Now that is a big vat of wine!

Lunchtime at the Whistle Stop in Lorimor, Iowa.

It appears we have joined motorcycle gang!

Roseman Bridge near Winterset, Iowa.

Downtown Winterset, Iowa.

John Wayne lived here until he was seven. Then the family moved to California. The rest is history.....

The Duke and my dude!

Saw many silos and grain elevators. I'm thinking that this is just one farm.

My favorite picture so far. This is the Polk County Courthouse in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Iowa state capital is beautiful.

Camping in Newton, Iowa.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pics that you posted right before this post. In fact, all of the pictures are very good.

    We are leaving Colorado tomorrow. It has rained every day for a week and been as low as 57. Meanwhile back in Texas...

    Enjoy and be safe!

    Love & blessings,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go camping without a laptop!

    ReplyDelete